Summer 2020 Promo: GET YOUR SMART LAWN PLAN
Lawn Mower Safety
Tips to Prevent Accidents and Injuries
Lawn mower safety is common sense and paying attention to your surroundings.
I recently read an article claiming that 60,000 people are
injured by lawn mowers every year (Reported by The U.S. Consumer Product
Safety Commission). Many are hurt seriously enough to require hospital
treatment - several lose fingers, hands or toes. Most of the injuries
are caused by operator error and could have been avoided.
Contact with the blade, propelled objects, overturned riding mowers or
running over the victim are the most common causes of injury. Other
injuries are caused by not taking proper precautions while working on
Some of the links in this article are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Recent News Headlines:
Overturned Riding Machines
- Man Dies in Lawn Mower Accident in Lancaster County - lancasteronline.com
- Workers, Golfers Save Man Trapped Under Lawnmower - boston.cbslocal.com
- Alabama Worker Killed in Lawn Mower Accident - www.jdsupra.com
- Wingate Employee Killed by Mower - www.charlotteobserver.com
- East Stroudsburg Man Killed When Lawnmower Overturned at Shawnee -www.poconorecord.com
Injured While Making Repairs
- Bushey Golf and Country Club Gardener Trapped Hand in Lawn Mower -watfordobserver.co.uk
- Lawnmower Slips From Jack, Kills Cemetery Worker - chicago.cbslocal.com
Rocks, Sticks and Other Debris Becoming Projectiles
- Flying Rock Has Stunned Driver Wondering About Lawn Mower Safety - www.citizen-times.com
Fire Started While Fueling Up
- Fire Damages Historical Building on Blount Cemetery Grounds - Knoxville News Sentinel
Accidents Involving Children
- Girl Loses Foot in Mower Accident - BBC News
- Child Killed in Solon Twp. Lawn Mower Accident - www.wzzm13.com
- Girl, 3, Hurt by Riding Mower Could Go Home Soon - Detroit Free Press
Lack of Maintenance?
- Woman, 25, Electrocuted Using Mower - Peterborough Today
- Rumford Man Uninjured After Fire Erupts on Riding Lawnmower - Lewiston Sun Journal
- Riding Lawn Mower Ignites In Fallston - WBAL Baltimore
Accidents Involving Motor Vehicles
- Woman Dies in Mower Collision - Jamestown Sun
- Man On Lawnmower Charged With DWI After Crash - WFMY News 2
- Kingsbury Woman Mowing Lawn Struck, Killed - North Country Gazette
- Woman Dies After Falling Into Pool With a Lawnmower - LAist
10 Lawn Mower Safety Tips
Work smart to avoid accidents and injuries
- Dress properly - always wear eye and hearing protection and don't wear loose clothing or mow in sandals or bare feet.
- Make sure all of the mower built-in safety
features are working and leave them in place. Never remove any guards
or shields - and don't bypass safety switches.
- Take care of your mower. Clean and inspect it after every use.
- Never work on the mower or clear the deck while
the engine is running. Pull the key and spark plug before working on it.
If you need to work on the deck or under a rider, use a safe lift or jack (like the MoJack XT).
- Understand how the mower operates and test drive it before engaging the blades.
- Inspect the lawn for sticks, toys, rocks - anything that can damage the mower or be turned into a projectile by the mower.
- Make sure the area is clear of people, children
and pets. They could be hurt by debris thrown from the mower or not seen
and accidentally run over.
- Be careful when handling gasoline. Don't fuel up
with the engine running and let it cool down a few minutes. Always fill
you tank outdoors and clean up any spills.
- Don't mow steep slopes. Riding mowers handle best
going up and down slopes. Walk behind mowers handle best traveling
- No Riders! Don't let children ride with you while
mowing. I'm guilty of this, my brother is guilty and so is my dad. Yeah
its fun for the kids but not smart or safe.